Sunday, July 6, 2008

Guam Flying

My July 4th was quite uneventful. I would have given many a treasure to be (I can't believe I'm saying this) at the O'Fallon Fest with you all. It sounds like you had a splendid time and I wish I were there too. My 4th was almost nonexistent in fact, it lasted about 4 hours because I crossed the International Date Line early that morning and it then became the 5th all of the sudden. I flew a trip called the "Island Hopper" which is pretty much the most interesting, most demanding and most rewarding trip we have. Its a four day trip starting in Guam, and as the name suggests, it stops at 5 islands between Guam and Hawaii. By the time you arrive in HNL you are pretty beat after flying 6 legs over 16 hours but you are then rewarded with a two day mini vacation which is quite nice, except you have a continual dread while you are there that you'll have to do it all over again just to get back to your own bed. Its an extremely small price to pay for a few free days in Hawaii to do with as you wish.

The flying out here is very different than anything I've done before. In fact I think its the polar opposite side of working in the airline industry than I'm used to. The people out here are pretty different. I have met some really interesting guys to work with and some strange fellows who seem to be running away from their past. Company wide, Guam is known as a good place to hide out. Most things are handled in house and there is never a sense that management is around. There is a general feeling of quietness and relaxation, nothing ever gets done hear in a very timely manner and I'm beginning to be OK with that. Since the trips are more productive than those on the mainland I get more days off than I could ever hold in Newark. To answer the age old question, I don't have a "route" that I fly, but I do find myself in Manila quite a bit. Its an all night flight but a productive trip. Over the past few months I have seen most of the cities we fly to out here. The Japan trips are pretty funny. There is a lot of saluting and bowing and waving as we taxi away. Its just funny to compare it to the States where we are lucky if the guys come out to park us at all. They don't like it when we arrive early and interrupt their domino game. But the Japanese are on the ball. They have lots of pride, honor and respect oozing out their pores.

Back to the Island Hopper. Once you leave Guam, you are out of radar contact until you reach Hawaii and are pretty much given free range to get to each island as you wish. You do have to let the controllers in San Fransico (because they control the non radar airspace out here) know what your plan is, but other than that, its pretty easy on the communication and navigation side of things as compared to the heavily controlled and crowded northeast that I'm used to. There are never any delays and its very rare to ever see another airplane anywhere. From the pictures below, you will see that some of the places we go are pretty remote, often we are the only service to these islands. Many times there will be kids and families waving to us just outside the airport perimeter. It's sometimes an island affair to come out and welcome us to their little speck of land. I'd imagine it's how things used to be in the 50's and 60's during the golden age of aviation when people still thought it was a big deal to fly. Many times I feel like I've stepped into the past as I arrive on these little communal islands. But as I said, the flying is challenging at times. The runways are short and often wet and we are usually at max take off and landing weights. Meaning there is little room for error. The scenery is unique and pristine. I feel very lucky to have a front row view of the places I've been to. If you are so inclined and want to enhance your geographical prowess look up the following islands. On the hopper we go from Guam-Truk (pronounced chook)-Ponapei-Kosarae-Kawajalan-Majaro-Hawaii. Its a fun and grueling trip at the same time.

This is Kwajalein. Its an atoll. Which apparently means skinny.

This is Pohnpei. This runway is short.


This is Kosrae. They sell really good peaches there that look like limes. At just over 5600 ft, its the shortest runway in the system and due to the mountains just out of frame, the wind whips around and can be somewhat tricky at times. If anyone has any questions about the flying or anything else I suppose I could muster up the energy to retort. Coming soon, Vic and I are planning on a little summery of Guamisims that should give a little insight into this island. There are a lot of peculiarities.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope all the talk of wind and tough landings draws extensive retort from The Big L. Why, pray tell, does anyone fly to Kwajalein or Pohnpei? If I were to fly to Guam someday, would I get to see Kosrae from the air? I wonder if John Locke lives out there somewhere. How about we all come there for the 4th next year...and bring Toad or the Cranberries or Jesus Jones and have our own cool 90's concert?

Movie quote quiz of the day- "The corners are bent on my "Friendly Fire" and somebody stole my "Wolf Blitzer."'

Carlos said...

Mateus, muito obrigado...learning a lot frrom your posts. on those short runways, do you hav a chute that opens up and helps you stop?

BTW, Leigh put me to work on the fourth..go to facebook and see may Magnum Opus...

Anonymous said...

Now Matt, you know nothing good happens flying around after midnight. I don't know what you guys get into flying around at that time of night anyway. And don't forget your seat belt. And turn your headlights on at night. And you've got leaves to rake here when you get back so don't think you're going out gallavanting around the island with those friends of yours.

Anonymous said...

shannon's brother and sister-in-law lived on Kwaj for 2 years...they mostly scuba-dived and went boating. sounds good to me.

nice pictures by the way. is it difficult to land on challenging runways AND take pix at the same time?

Anonymous said...

yeah kwa is a strange place. you have to have a sponsor to go there though. so i dont think we'll be going there for vacaish. the guy who works in ops for us is married to the princess of this really small island that i cant remember the name of and he will soon be the king. Hes got a big head and acts like hes all important since hes king and all, but what good is a kingdom with out the serfs and pheasants etc. plus, hes doesnt even have the formal upbringing to be a king of the people. im pretty sure hes not going to have much world influence.

greg, you have summed up my adolescense. at least here there are no rivers that we cant cross. all roads lead back to where they started anyways.

no parachutes, but ill pass it by the powers that be. we are always looking for ways to save fuel and cut costs now days.

Debra said...

I thought you didn't talk about flying...finally you speak. BTW, your new email doesn't work bro.

Anonymous said...

yes. you should get minus a million points because you sent out an email change notification with an email address that doesn't work.

awesome.

Anonymous said...

ok people, there is an "underscore" in my new address. mg_ then my last name.
how does someone as tech retarded as myself know this and you all do not.

Lara said...

Hey tech retard - deb's right the address doesn't work
I'm with Carlos, how do you stop so quick on those short runways??

Hey Dad you forgot to tell Matt to not sit so close to the TV and shave once in awhile so he can look like a professional -oh and BTW did you type that up or did you dictate it to your trusty secretary?? ummm...that's like so Guamish.

Anonymous said...

yeah tech retard...

it doesn't work...

like we said...

(you never answered how to start and stop on such a short runway, or how you can take pictures while attempting to land on these runways, or if you have met John Locke...)

Anonymous said...

I read with interest your detailed description of some of the unusual islands you're flying to and greaty enjoyed the pictures you provided.
I noticed some of your ground-bound compatriots have repeatedly inquired as to how one stops a 80 ton jet on a short, slippery runway.

Since you haven't responded,I'll explain the highly technical and supremely skilled effort it takes to perform this super-human feat.

This revolutionary, space-age miracle is called 'brakes.' You land on the very end of the runway, stand on the brakes, go into full-reverse thrust and hope to hell the thing stops and doesn't spill your hot-fudge sundae on the pants you've been wearing for the last 5 days. Whipped cream and red cherry stains are hard to camouflage.

I hope this has satiated everyone's curiosity and has restored a miniscule amount of respect for the much maligned airline pilot.

Matt, although it requires an instantaneous reversal of your master plan, never forget that a go-around will give you a second chance and perhaps save that hot-fudge sundae from cascading into your flight bag.

Reading about the Japanese ground crews reminds me how it used to be in lots of places around the US in the early part of my career. I also experienced that enthusiasm flying with your grandpa during the 50s.

I'll always remember one of my first flights, when I was 12, into South America, landing at a small airport in Chiclayo, Peru. As I was making my landing, I observed a young boy standing alongside the runway taking a pee, waving excitedly with his left hand and taking care of nature's call with his right. His big grin expressed his happiness at our arrival. I'm sure the island locals have shown their pleasure on your arrivals in different ways, so enjoy it all.

BTW, the lawn needs mowing here and your mother refuses to take out the trash.
Do be careful out there and remember that the best compliment a pilot can receive is that he never allowed a situation to deteriorate so badly that he then had to show his superior flying skills!
LOL
Dad (but typed by his trusty secretary, Guammy's Mommy)

Anonymous said...

John Locke lives here in Arley, AL. I saw him at the Piggly Wiggly yesterday.

Anonymous said...

how will ever know if the Big L is ACTUALLY in our midst? We have to hope it is true. Matt, you should check out Travis and Jessica's blog, they're the ones who moved to Japan last week. It's called Wok'N'Roll. I think its on blogspot also. Don't spill your sundae...

Lara said...

The Big L is always in our midst...
Excellent blog dad, I didn't know you had it in you- but I think you got Matt all wrong he is more of a pizza guy.
Are you serious, you flew a plane to Peru when you were 12,does the FAA know of this? Why didn't you ever take us to Peru instead of Miami every year? jeez!
ps- learn to type ol' man

Anonymous said...

yes, brakes help.
so does max reverse.

only one go around since ive been out here and that was wx related. but its part of our standard brief when we are on the short island runways that if we dont land on the first 1000-1500 feet we automatically go around.

Thanks for all your comments and memories. My experience is that the flight attendants hog all the ice cream. but sometimes we get the occasional burnt cookie thrown our way though. actually the FA's are really good, they take great care of us. they can make or break a trip sometimes.

i can only imagine the little boy with the family jewles in one hand and waving with the other. ill look for his descendants tomorrow. I go out again for another hopper. the IRO is a friend from upstairs so it should be a good trip.

Anonymous said...

Big L (if that is your real name), that was a brilliant post.

Carlos said...

Big L/mgw, I'd figure I better say thanks for answering a not so nerdy engineer's question.. I can understand reverse thrust..

We miss you guys and hope to see you soon (no we are not coming over anytime soon, just hoping you'd come this way..

Cheers,

Agent 00

Anonymous said...

are you guys still alive?

still in Guam?

still connected to the world wide web that al gore invented?

That's All From Here said...

Matt,
We got your blog address from Jane Schaefer and she said that you and Vickie will return soon, after the birth of your baby. Your house is empty now, just waiting for you to fill it to overflowing.

Nancy and Howard